a stressed out student trying to make it in the fashion journalism industry.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Fashion Week Cleveland!

{The lights, the red carpet, the champagne, the.. unorganized schedule?}
Okay, so i've been anxiously grasping my Fashion Week CLE ticket since i ran like a lunatic to the mailbox and lunged at the mailman for my envelope in March. I watched the clock tick by when i worked my shift at the donut shop yesterday, and as soon as i got off i was curling my hair and perfecting my eye brows, sicked to make contacts & meet possible employers.
I met up with Lauren & we could not wait to see the ensembles, designers, & venue of the fashion show. We got into downtown Cleveland at 7:40pm, fashionably late of course, and exactly when the schedule said doors to the Halle Building would open.
Vintage Faviana open back dress, SweetSin peep-toe pumps, Dank Artistry accessories
I couldn't believe how young we were compared to the other guests. I guess i just assumed there would be a better 20 years old to 60 years old ratio. Everyone's outfits were interesting. It looked like they were attending the prom, a cheap night club, or a Sunday church service.. i definitely did not witness alot of appropriate fashion week attire. 
After standing around in a small entrance until 8:15, they finally opened the doors. Everyone clumped inside, annoyed due to standing around waiting; it was insane trying to get your ticket accepted and given a VIP wristband. When we finally got in, the Halle Building foyer was elegantly decorated with finger food and desserts.
My plan was to reach out to fashionable clevelanders and swap information with fellow designers, journalists, & industry associates. That did not happen. I don't think anyone was affiliated with the fashion industry besides the vendors that sold boutique merchandise. I wanted to grab a water bottle and fix my hair, but the only beverage offered was alcohol & there wasn't any accessibility to the restrooms. Vendors were very rude to us, probably pissed that we didn't have rich parents with us, willing to buy their junky jewelry.
I was getting discouraged; I didn't meet anyone affiliated with Cleveland Magazine or even get the chance to introduce myself to anyone related to the fashion industry. After a lot of standing around, waiting, & becoming irritable, we were seated for the runway show.


Our gift bags included samples from vendors, gift cards, previews & random key chain/magnets/ mainstream junk drawer accessories. The runway show began & saved the night. Designers & collections included: Andrea Howell of Tidal Cool Creations, Erica Dawn Woodmore of Contained Expression, Lotty Lewis of Lotty, Becca Nation of Knotty Girl, Melayna Hovsepyan Tovmasyan of Melayna, F.C. Mapondera of Sireka Couture, Angie Williams of Annie Ruth 8, Jamie Powell, Barbara Rubright of Barbara Rubright Wearables, & Trista Grieder of Profig Designs.






I was really bummed because my phone died halfway through, but the show was playful and enjoyable. Quite a few of the models looked like baby giraffes; trying to scoot across the runway with bent knees and obvious limited heel-wearing experience. I also noticed belts undone, fallen slings on shoes, and a few other wardrobe malfunctions. Some models really worked it while others were given courtesy applause. Overall, i had a great first fashion show experience, but the other unorganized events put a damper on the evening. Next year, i'll walk in the show or arrive just before the runway event starts. I was slightly disappointed because my expectations exceeded reality, but it just confirmed the fact that i need to get to NYC as soon as possible!

2 comments:

  1. Fair review. Considering that it was FWC's 9th year, I was really surprised by the disorganization. Hope you liked my designs!

    Andrea Howell, Tidal Cool Creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really liked your designs, Andrea. My favorite collection by far! Hopefully next year it's a bit more organized.

    Meg

    ReplyDelete