a stressed out student trying to make it in the fashion journalism industry.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cruel Summer, a Cruel Tease

It leaked, you listened, you loved it.
Or hated it. 
There is rarely an "it was okay" response to this album. Fans accepted or rejected the album quickly after the leak and release. My first issue? Where was the promotion? Maybe i was just really consumed in school; enough not to notice much promoting. but Kanye, being the attention-addict he is, i was expecting a bit more. Second, unity. After researching the release date i came across pictures of the Cruel Summer clique signing albums and meeting fans. Rarely were they all together or around each other at the same time which makes me question a little bad blood in the G.O.O.D gang? I personally hold Kanye, a legendary artist, designer & producer to a very high standard. Ye never stops working. I siked myself out of my mind to the point i got butterflies in my stomach awaiting the release of this album.. which in my eyes, fell a bit short of expectation.


Kanye West & R Kelly
This track held it's own.
I was actually surprised to hear such beautiful vocals 
after expecting  some hardcore rap to start it off. 
The quality of Ye & Kelly's rhymes were just 'eh.'

Kanye West, Jay-Z & Big Sean
Alright, i can rage to this. 
Heavy bass, a quick beat & easily expected lyrics.

Kanye West, Big Sean, Pusha-T & 2 Chainz
A G.O.O.D Music staple with a kanye's signature originality. 
Not exactly sure why people are so skeptical of the "satanic" bridge. 
I think it's what the track needed to stay fresh and thought provoking. & whether or not
Ye, Jay-Z & whoever else is involved in the Illuminati is enough to keep 
people talking, a good selling point.

Kanye West, Pusha-T & Ghostface Killah
I don't know.. the track didn't do much for me & neither does Pusha-T or Ghostface Killah.

Raekwon, Pusha-T, Common, 2 Chainz, Cyhi the Prynce, Kid Cudi, D'Banj
This was a sick collab.
Cyhi is underrated, and D'Banj's beats are on point.
It gets a bit monotonous towards the end, but overall a successful track. 

Kanye West feat. DJ Khaled & DJ Pharris
I'm sorry, DJ Khaled is  not my thing. 
Like, ever. 

 Pusha T feat. The-Dream, Ma$e & Cocaine 80s
Ma$e impresses me. Not much else to say.

John Legend, Teyana Taylor, CyHi The Prynce & Malik Yusef feat. Travi$ Scott
The dark sound keeps it entertaining, this is the point where Teyana shines through. 

Kanye West & Big Sean feat. 2 Chainz, Marsha Ambrosius & Cocaine 80s
I think this track has the most lyrical depth. It breaks the ever-growing monotony of the album up a bit.

Kid Cudi
Yes.. I was waiting for this.
Can you trust me to neutrally critique a Scott Mescudi song?
Hell no. By supporting him as an artist as opposed to a specific sound, i've got love for everything he does. It isn't included in my favorite Cudi tracks or anything, but the Teleport 2 Me-esque song is a blend of old & new Cudder. It's overlooked by his recently dropped singles like "Just What I Am," but by far my favorite track on Cruel Summer. 

John Legend & Teyana Taylor
I think John Legend's smooth, soulful voice contrasts negatively with Teyana Taylor's. I don't think she brought much to this album.

Pusha T, Kanye West & Big Sean feat. Chief Keef & Jadakiss
Cruel Summer ends on a good note. Enough to make up for over-shot expectations on a few of the tracks? Nah. But a solid club banger and party inducing pregame track.  

 I thought originality and execution were on point; delivery, not so much. I'm not sure the album's fluidity was as smooth as they had expected. I was hoping Cruel Summer would feed my hunger for new Kanye, Cudi & a stellar album, but it's left me bored; Tapping my fingers, anxiously awaiting Indicud. Disappointed, i still wholeheartedly believe G.O.O.D overrules every other label in the game. 



No comments:

Post a Comment